Categories

Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Incredible Lightness of Being

Day 2, Singapore.  I awake.  There he is, Mr Mellow Jello Beyond Jello, looking back at me.
If I reach towards him, he rearranges himself, presenting a belly for rubs.

I'm terribly displaced in Singapore.  Angel the Beloved is so laid-back, I have no idea where he is at times because he is not shadowing me around.  I wonder how the shadow is doing.  The temperature dropped in London today- I hope he is warm enough.
File photo of the Shadow.

Being with the husband again is great!  I remember I am in reality not a singleton!  It is nice to share living spaces, to be home when he returns from work, and to be able to shout out a text within the same time zone.

The nest is really empty here without the teenager.  I feel incredibly unencumbered, and very light.  I am temporarily, without responsibility (WOW).  Courtship Part II continues but with even more indulgence as the man is on home turf.  Tammy the Artist ebbs away, and Mrs Chan, remember her, steps forth.


Of course Mrs Chan needs to fix her hair and nails!

Self-preservation takes time.  Resting and relaxing require initiative, and a uniform.   I wear an oversized blouse,  a skinny cardigan that will shrink in the wash with my yoga pants and high heels. 

Angel, we aren't in London anymore!

I get my hair cut as short as possible, paint my nails, red.  Both activities take up about 3 hours.  I wander about looking for gifts (30 minutes).  I cross the street and visit my sister-in-law who has just given birth (1 hour).  
I meet Perfection, aka Eli James Wong.  The hour passes.  I hand Perfection back to his mom.  My dinner date picks me up.  Unlike the days of Marriage with A Teenager at Home, my date is early!  He circles the block once.  He even worries out loud if I got caught in the sudden drizzle.

At dinner we are laughing and chatting, and he piles the most subtle of Japanese flavors onto my plate.  I decide my marriage is too important to me to quit alcohol.  And much as I have been scarred by Saturday Soho hijinks with K and SF, I am going to have to re-train my liver so that I can drink with him again.



No comments:

Post a Comment