Categories

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmas Turkey- Act 1

 At 5.1 kgs, the turkey is twice Bruno's size and weight.

I'm going to need a roasting pan, a roasting rack.  I'm going to need, humour.

I'm nervous.  This flat has fancy equipment, and an oven I've yet to figure out.  The turkey is heavy.  My back hurts.  I did after all, fall off a horse, twice, in a week.

The only way to deal with stage fright is to soldier forth and marinate.  So Act 1 of Christmas Turkey goes something like this:

1.  Throw some olive oil in pan, add whatever herbs picked up, and heat it all up.

2.  Allow to cool, and then coat the turkey generously with the herbal oil mixture.

3.  Add salt and pepper, generously.  Rub this all over the turkey, between its joints as well.
(Smiling on occasion, helps to relieve any tension/trepidation.)

4.  Chop up onions, oranges, garlic, tomatoes.  
5.  Squeeze orange juice all over/slice orange peels and cover turkey with it.

6.  Stuff the turkey with everything that's been chopped up.  Optimism- my middle name.

(7.  Usually I would make a stuffing and then place that underneath the turkey's skin during the marinating process.  But I forgot to buy breadcrumbs and mince at the store, as Bruno who was waiting outside, was wailing and fretting.  To add the stuffing, simply run your fingers gently underneath the skin from the neck bits to loosen it and to create a cavity.)

Someone once asked me, what if it doesn't turn out right?  
Here's my secret- I don't ever worry about the outcome.  I just focus on the doing.  Cooking is so relaxing for me because I don't take myself that seriously.  I'm open to accidents and the unexpected.  Besides, I hear the roast duck at Bayswater to be purchased and displayed on a pretty plate, is a winner.

8.  Cover turkey up, let it rest.  Re-visit it tomorrow. 
Goodnight, Turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment