Categories

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Falling

Funny how the dancer body reacts, when you know, falling is inevitable.
photo credit- Dramaplus Arts

Surrender to gravity, kick away/push off from careening, speeding object, tuck and roll, tuck and roll.

There's a choreographer whom I admire quite a bit- we've worked together in the past.  He's known for moving with flight, as well as his number of turns.  My turning sucks, but I can move as fast.  The secret to moving rapidly is really being able to center yourself within, and keeping very relaxed.  Long achilles tendons help as well.  To be able to react quickly, you need to be able to spring.

Juxtaposing the speed of a fall, is the way the mind processes things.  On the one hand, my mind is already looking for a safe place to land, but on the other, I can see other thoughts unfold in slow motion.  Thoughts like- (fuck) here we go again, is this really necessary, what was the 1st refrain from Janacek's..., Dumpling, you silly horse!!! Dumpling, don't trample me!!!  Dear God, please can Jon be in a good mood when I 'fess up about falling?

Tuck and roll, tuck and roll.  The moment I dread the most is when there is no preventing the head from hitting the ground- THUD.

Thud, tuck and roll, tuck and roll, and for a quick second my eyes shut, my arms cross over my face.  I don't know where Dumpling is, and if he is going to stomp on me, I would like to minimise damage and pain.

Bushes, as I have learnt before, come in handy.  They stop one from rolling farther, downhill.

Motion arrested, I get back on my feet, climb up the hill, climb back on the silly horse.  The instructor leading the ride asks if I'm ok.  Yes, I say, I'm good.  I don't tell her about the stiffening I feel on the left side of my body, and the dull pain in my head.

Shall we canter on?  She asks.  Yes, I say, Let's go, I'm good.






No comments:

Post a Comment