Categories

Sunday, February 15, 2015

2 Steps Forward, 1 Step Back

*  Please do not read on if you find images of the bruised human body, too startling.  X

The swelling doesn't quite subside when I can't sleep through the night.
What it's really like to look at my arm resembling an eel?
Utterly  humbling.  I mean, I can't even see my wrist.
Humility is not a bad thing, so off I go practising the rotating movement again and again.
Then adding the hinging exercise...
Bleh.  Here is where poor Humpty hits a wall.  Unlike yesterday, I can't summon my elbow to crease on the 1st count.  Not only did it take a few tries for my hand to lift off, I can't even lift it to yesterday's 'height'.
C'est la vie.  In life, sometimes it's not unwise to stop and acknowledge that wall.
So 2 steps forward yesterday, 1 giant step back today.  

When I teach dance, I like to end on a high note; remind the body, what it can do.
My arm is throbbing and full, and unyielding now.  But my legs?  I can still feel them.
I can't downward dog, plank, crow.  But I can still sit like this.
I think it's called, hero pose.
And I can't upward bow.  But I can modify, to at least stretch out that kink in my shoulders...
When vertical, the combination of blood rushing and gravity tugging gets too much for the poor arm.  So I practise plies on my back.
If you are inspired, try it!  Think of pinning the belly button into the earth as you rotate your legs outwards from the hips, bending and straightening at the knees, feet flexed, heels touching together.
The plie is the beginning and end of possibly every movement we do in dance with the lower limbs.  I like to think of the plie as a prayer.  

Hello, God?  
 God?  I hate core work- it's so boring, and frankly doesn't do anything for my floppy belly, but God, I will keep at it, and quit whining.  Love You, Amen.

Then the process of uncurling the body to stand.
Carefully, re-introducing the bionic arm to the sense of gravity.
Super!  I'm not feeling faint today!
Lastly, giving myself the new challenge of, buttons.  I've not touched buttons since the fall...
Awesome, I managed four buttons!

I think especially in injury, every athlete needs micro challenges to keep sane, and keep focused.

For before I cartwheel or jump back on a horse, I need to be able to walk my Angel dog again, and hold him with tightly, tightly with both arms.



No comments:

Post a Comment