Categories

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

Thanksgiving is my favorite American holiday.  Something about family traveling from afar to meet around a table, the effort involved in preparing the Thanksgiving Feast, seems so similar to the manner in which Popo once, long ago, would usher in the New Year (Chinese).
Chinese New Year 2013 at ours
Alone in London, I felt acutely, the absence of my husband, Jon.

For no particular reason, I suddenly felt a need to speak with him, face to face.  Besides (I reasoned), an economy air ticket on SQ319 is less damaging than "retail therapy" on New Bond Street.

12.X hours later, I am safely back in Singapore. The light is too bright, the sky is too blue, and the heat.... The heat.
  Singapura!
The taxi driver also attempts ripping me off.  

My daughter sends me an email.  She reminds me to not let Singapore get me down.  "You don't live there permanently anymore!  Just focus on what the city can offer for the week.  Daddy will drive you around."

I read her email a few times.  I wonder how she got so smart.
Smart!
My husband holds me for a long time.  We talk daily, so there is no need to repeat myself.

This is our 3rd time at Long Distance.  Long Distance sucks.  But it's Thanksgiving and I am back in my Singapore home.

So I am counting my blessings.  

In no specific order, thank you, Almighty God for:
1.  Bi-City Living/ My Simple Life/ Roof(s) Over My Head 
2.  Public Transportation that for the most part, works in both these cities
3.  A wonderfully kind, patient spouse, whom I really, really like, and really, really miss
4.  Great Health  (But God, please let me die before him.  Thank you.)
5.  A little dog and a big dog
6.  A Grumpy horse and a Dumpling horse
7.  A kind, happy, hard-working daughter

8.  Wonderful, wonderful real friends (you know who you are!)

9.  Thank you for my humor, and my ability to cook.

PSST-  Tammy's Thanksgiving Turkey:  
Sayang it with a lot of butter/olive oil, freshly squeezed orange juice, herbs, tomatoes, garlic, onions, salt, and pepper.  Cover it with layers of bacon to prevent it from drying out especially during the initial stages of roasting.  Use your fingers to loosen under the skin where you can then create a cavity for stuffing.  Remember that the turkey can't be rush.  




Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment