Categories

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

An Aberdeen Hour

Today's journey began early.
Psst, Bruno?  Wake up...
Aberdeen is a 2.5 hour ride from Edinburgh.  We passed towns with exotic names- Arborath, Dundee.    The train sped along rolling hills, deep woods, and the coast.  I stayed awake, entrapped by the ocean.  I think it's the North Sea...
photo credit- SC

We had two appointments in Aberdeen.  We had return tickets on the evening train.  We found the bus- stop off Merchant Street, and it was there, while waiting for our bus, that I read increasing dismay and great reluctance on my daughter's face.

The nature cradling Aberdeen is stunning.  But the town even on a weekday lunch hour felt desolate, grim, grey. 

We weighed our options.  We decided to cancel the appointments and head back on the next available train to Edinburgh instead.

We bought take-out sushi and soda.  I returned missed texts, and spoke briefly to Jon.  It was dinner time in Singapore, and the Chans were celebrating my FIL's 80th birthday.

On another continent, a remarkable human being and artist passed away.
photo credit- SC
We spent an hour instead of a day, in Aberdeen.  I tell Summie I'm glad we made the trip up north, north, north. I think adventure/research is about discovery, and discovery is about defining what matters most, and clarifying who we are.  

It's good we came!  How else will we know?  BesidesI get to spend quality time with you!  

Summie is silent, thinking, thinking.

When she speaks, she says- Thank you, Mom.  Thank you.  


Then she says these magical words loudly- 
 Mom?  I'm really excited about my future!

And I think-
"...it's the fire in my eyes,
and the flash of my teeth,
the swing in my waist,
and the joy in my feet.

I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me."                      
-  Maya Angelou



No comments:

Post a Comment