Categories

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Ecclesiastes 3

Since the Ibiyaya City Pet Stroller came into our lives,

we've visited Summie one last time in Cheltenham, 

enjoyed a leisurely Sunday roast with K at the Thomas Cubitt,
Thomas Cubitt- dog-friendly at 44 Elizabeth Street, photo credit-The Handbook
damaged some unpleasant driver's side mirror of his car, while on horseback.
BANG!  
I can still hear the sound of a mirror breaking and the heat of his anger.
***

Crap happens.  
As June becomes July, and we approach my birthday, I find myself as always, 
reflecting on the year that is slipping by.
***
photo credit A Chia, edited by me.
The flowers were delivered on Monday.  Come Saturday, Trace's parents are celebrating a milestone anniversary.  For Aunty TC, her mother, whom so many of us only remember and know as so gentle, so sweet, humble, kind, an artist-teacher-woman,  I think we all feel the same sort of triumphant joy for her on such a momentous day.
***

Ecclesiastes 3 was a favourite chapter in the Bible growing up.  It talks about time.  It gave me hope.  One day, one day...  Some day.
***

Today I received an invitation from the Arts House.  I was asked if I was going to be in Singapore on X date.  Yes!  Would I be part of their panel of writers for Y?  Yes, thank you for thinking of me!
At The Arts House 2011 celebrations- 'Writing Our Worlds" with S as moderator,
Another thought-
Mid-century.
photo credit-  The Modern House
Because a year is about to pass, and I can't believe I am still living in the same flat.  This is the time of the year, I normally, move!  

Something about midcentury in dull, dull London, cheers my heart!  After all, a writer-choreographer needs juxtaposition and conflict for plot and intrigue!
photo credit-  The Modern House
(Ignore the calm voice of reason telling me that in winter, a wall of single-paned glass sans shutters and drapes translates as a freaking freezing flat.)

Other thoughts... On my 35th birthday, I relocated back to Singapore from California.  To renew our  vows, Jon gave me, a puppy named, Angel.
Angel the Beloved, early days home
And when I think of Angel, I can't help but think of my grandmother.  On Mother's Day this year, my sister-in-law kindly sent me this photograph taken last year, when Popo had a fall.
photo credit- Tina/Simon Wong
Like Angel, I think she bounced back the best she could.
***

I'm not sure what I am supposed to be doing for the Arts House event.  I was told I am being featured alongside writers who write stories of ordinary people, of family.

I was asked to submit a 100-150 word blurb about myself.  I googled myself(!) and then I wrote-
 Tammy L Wong is the receipent of the 2001 Montblanc Businesswoman of the Year Award, the 2002 National Arts Council Award (Dance), the 2003 Chancellor's Fellowship (University of California, Irvine).  Her works have been presented at festivals in Australia, New Zealand, Korea, Malaysia, and the United States.  Between 2006- 2010, she was appointed the Head, and subsequently Artistic Director of Dance at LASALLE College of the Arts.  She has received choreographic commissions from Blurred Borders International, the Esplanade Theatres on the Bay, and the Singapore Dance Theatre.  In 2010, she stepped away from dance to write.  Her books, 'A' is for Achar, 'L' is for Love (2011) and When the Bough Breaks (2013) were published by Ethos Books.
photo credit-  Ethos Books
I re-read what I wrote.  I counted the number of words.  Not quite 150.

I'm not sure if I recognise this Tammy L Wong.
photo credit- David Teo, shot in rehearsal at the Esplanade
  I would like to ask her, where on earth did she find the time to do all that?

So then I continued writing-
Currently hibernating in London, Tammy looks forward to meeting all readers at her not-for-profit blog, The Adventures of Bruno Chan.

The Arts House presents, Full Disclosure- the Singapore Auto/Biography Forum,  Saturday- Sunday, August 2-3 2014 
I will be participating in 'Family Portrait', Saturday August 2 2014, 3:15-4:15pm

No comments:

Post a Comment