Categories

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Girl Power

Today is the last day of the SFC1 year for Summie.  The college invited Malala Yousafzai as their guest speaker.  She came with as little fanfare as possible.  Her coming was kept veiled from the girls.   I think there were security issues.

Malala is sixteen.  I cannot think of her without tearing up, or feeling incredibly humbled and inspired.

For so many, school sucks.  But for so many others, school is a joy, a right they have trouble accessing;  like drinking clean water.  Or the right to not be brutally circumcised, sold off to marriage and sexual slavery.

Once upon a time, a young girl simply wanted to read, to go to school.  
She refused to be silent in her desire.  She spoke up.  She got shot at, three times.  She was critically close to death.
***

Last weekend, I discovered my husband has a British family!  And the British family is actually keen to hear what I have to say!  
photo credit- B
I could be myself.  I didn't have to smile and nod, smile and nod!  I could open my mouth to speak and laugh.  I wasn't dumbed down.

I had a great time!

More triumphant girl stories-
photo credit- LE
My niece graduates! 
***

A year has passed since we first came to London...
London, Day 1 Summer 2013
At Paddington Station she is walking towards me, dragging heavy bags.

Then her arms find me, and they don't seem to let me go.  She says, Mommy, I love you so much, Mommy, I missed you!

I'm glad I'm here.  I like looking at her.
  I like looking at her beginning to grasp and become the woman I have been waiting for her to meet, for the longest time.

No comments:

Post a Comment