Categories

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Absence

My therapist asked me, how we do it- live apart, say goodbye.

The packing again.  Angel's least favourite activity.

The parting is terrible.  By the time I get on board SQ318, my eyes are so puffy, all I can think of is how very much I need a drink.

Then the plane lands, the door lifts open, and all around me, the pace of walking speeds up.  Ah, London Town...
Richard Diebenkorn (March 14- June 7), The Royal Academy
She flings herself at me, catching me, before I catch her.  Like her father, the tears spill forth quietly.

Absence has made her heart grow larger with fondness.  Every evening, as he had done, she now lovingly massages and manipulates my arm.


Just like him, her voice gentles- Good Job, Mom!  

Sometimes while forcing my arm to remain, she counts in Spanish.
Uno, dos, tres, cuatro, cinco, seis, siete, ocho, nueve, diez!  Wow, Mom!  Good Job! 
Look at you!
(The next morning, my elbow stiffened fully, and I've not been able to touch the back of my head again.)

I felt so alone without you, Mom!  The worst part was I couldn't ask you, what's for dinner!
Arigato Japanese Supermarket, 48-50 Brewer Street
Mom?  What's for dinner?  Is TJ coming over?  
(Summie, please help Mom move the furniture around.  I think we need to create a dining space...)
Mom!  You really like putting things together don't you?  You're good at it!

Mom!  Your face got chubby, but your arm became so thin!

Mom!  Don't give up!  You're amazing!

Mom!  Are you happy?  I'm so happy!  I'm so happy you are here!


Mom?  You don't have a pig's trotter anymore.
Trotter- late January, 2015





No comments:

Post a Comment