Categories

Monday, January 26, 2015

Costume Change/ Broken Arm Season

 I'm doing the best I can.

 I still have one good arm, a great pair of legs, and when necessary, I hold things with  my mouth.

One of the bigger challenges each day is the once simple act of getting dressed.

The morning shower has been replaced with a hot bath, and every attempt to not slip in the tub while using my feet to manipulate the shower head and taps.

My broken arm needs to be kept dry.

My good arm does gymnastic feats and prevents me from drowning.

Then there is the wardrobe crisis.  

Aside from my favourite green dress-on-its-last-legs, I can't fit my arm into anything else; forget even attempting to pull on and button jeans.

Undaunted, we went back to the old hood in search of sleeveless, large pieces of clothing that I can crawl into and zip up with one hand.

Bruno waited patiently...

I got lucky.  At Helmut Lang, the SA gathered a long skirt into a hole for me to step into.  She then pulled the skirt up, smoothed it down, and folded the elastic waistband once over for a better fit.  She suggested three loose blouses to go with the skirt.  I chose the one with the largest arm holes.

Voila!  A new look.

I think the word is- editorial.

Because it took such a collaborative effort to get me dressed, I decided to leave the store in my new editorial outfit, and asked the kind SA to pack my old threads up instead.  Then I walked down the street to have tea with the London Besties, thinking editorial works at Grangier and Co, because Notting Hill netizens respond to style.  The restaurant was packed, but Broken Arm clad in editorial secured us a table.

And then the wonderful Myha at Matches called in a sleeveless coat for me.
 Together we found a way to get me into the coat.  She belted me up, knotting the ribbon towards the side of the body.
Do you like it, Tammy?  It's very, 'The Row'... I agree with you, it needs a heel...But you could wear it with-

I could wear it with leg warmers, I tell her.  On my arms.  It would take care of the cold.  It's editorial, I say, and don't bother taking it off.

*sleeveless coat- Isabel Marant

No comments:

Post a Comment