Categories

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Going Black

My current obsession with black interiors didn't just occur recently.

I think it has to do with living in Europe for the last two years, wearing black daily, the somber start to my year, and Popo's passing.  It has to do with returning to dance in my leotard and tights (black and black, of course).  And it definitely has to do with my reacting against all the white that felt jarring and confrontational, when I first saw the (next) London flat.
SHUDDER!
photo credit-  Foxton's
Black soothes me.  Black is quiet, utilitarian and frank.  You don't flounder about in black.  Black is articulated speech.  It doesn't stutter.

And then on my last trip back to Singapore, Jon and I received a generous gift.

My MIL explained her gift- the artist did a series of black roses towards the end of his life.

When I look at the painting, I fully understand why he veered towards black, instead of the symphony of colours he is known for.  When time feels limited, black makes complete, sense.

Another influencing factor has been my extremely pared-down Spring-Summer wardrobe. 
That's all I'm wearing these days.
Because I have a tendency to decorate the way I dress, I am being very strict with colour (or the lack of) for my project.

Lastly, my other challenge is to create a more masculine, timeless sense of space.  I wondered about this, especially when I was resting in Spice's house.

I think because his house is sited in the midst of such spectacular surrounds, the architect deliberately worked with a muted palette
so that the man-made house would not compete with the majesty of nature around it;
that there would be much sensitivity expressed, in co-habitation.

I once said in a Business Times interview, that the homes we live in, reflect the inner landscape of the family, where we've been, where we're at.  I said that for me, it is hard to just stay in one home, as our lives are in continual flux. 

I still believe all that.  How special it is then, that at the end of one journey (high school!), I am now embarking on, The 15th Move.





No comments:

Post a Comment