Categories

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Journey to The Promised Land

In London, The Promised Land, beckoned.
My husband said- You had better go, for the sake of your family's sanity.

We set out early.  I was a bit nervous about flying.  To keep calm, I took Bruno on a long walk through some of the prettiest streets in the 6th.


Then we hiked the entire perimeter of the very elegant Jardin du Luxembourg.
(I'm loving this garden.  It has taught me to appreciate timeless beauty in symmetry and serenity.)


Then it was off to CDG via Metro 4 and the RER B.

CDG is a frightful airport.  It is a great example of design that has neither form, nor function.  The flight we were on was full.  Service from ground staff (Air France) was excellent.  But even though we got there 2-hours before the flight departed, we were stuck in endless lines.  
While waiting and waiting, I assembled Bruno's bag for flight travel...
After we were checked-in, I was told to pay for Bruno at a different counter.  So more time was lost in a different line...
Finally we were issued a boarding pass, and then we had to take an inter- terminal train to the departure gate (CDG is poorly designed).
Then we passed through security.  Meaning, I had to strip off my boots, coat, remove Bruno from his sling, remove his collar, put everything on the belt, carry him and walk through, hoping that nothing would beep.
Security smiled at Bruno.  (Hooray for the French and their love for dogs!)

Our flight was delayed.  When we finally boarded, it was delayed for another hour.  We had the most nightmarish seat on board.  But all this was made bearable because the French passengers crowding me were truly understanding of Bruno.  Service from the Air France staff was also excellent.  Singapore Airlines despite our fancy planes can honestly learn a thing or two about manners and graciousness from Air France.

Best of all, Bruno was allowed to ride on my lap, as long as he was in his bag.  He slept through the first 5 hours, awaking only to share my meal.  

Which meant that he had been behaving himself for the past 8 hours from the point of when our journey actually began.  So during the last 2 hours of the actual flight, Bruno started feeling restless.  He wanted to climb around, look out the window...
Sorry, Brunz.  You don't have the window seat!
So I took him to the bathroom, and for those of you who have asked what if he needs to potty in flight, this is what I do...
It's really akin to flying with a baby.  I pack, paraphernalia, even if he refuses to use it.

30 minutes before landing, an air hostess told me very politely to put Bruno inside his bag.  I threw in a few treats, Bruno tumbled in, where he stayed, until we cleared customs in the US.  He whined a little, but nothing too dramatically tragic, as long as he could still see and hear me.

Immigration and Customs were thankfully easy.  None of that Inquisition one usually faces at the US Border.

And imagine our joy when we saw signs pointing towards a Pet Relief Area right outside our terminal at JFK!
God Bless America!

After which, I returned to the terminal to change money, find the Air Train.  We then took the Air Train to Howard Beach, got onto the A line, jumped off at Chambers Street, walked around the block and boarded the PATH train for Hoboken.  
(* This journey will take about 2 hours.  Also factor in lugging of self/baggage up stairs.  Total cost of this journey is about $10USD- a no-brainer when you consider the cost of taking a taxi into Manhattan, traffic in the Boroughs and City, and possible drive-by shootings.
*  To stay as safe as possible on the A train as it traverses the less salubrious sections of Queens, I sit between the big African American man in Federal uniform, en route home from work, and the weary/wary African sister whom I know, can be counted on to keep trouble at bay.)

Hoboken?  Another tip!
For easy access into downtown, Hoboken is only one stop away on the PATH train.  By staying in Hoboken, instead of where I would usually stay if Jon was traveling with me, I have cut my hotel costs by half, doubled square footage, assured water-front-living, tree-lined streets for Bruno, and unobstructed views of the Promised Land.


No comments:

Post a Comment