Categories

Friday, September 13, 2013

Girlfriend Power- Singapore Style, London-Based

Guilty.  Of moving to a new city and not bothering to make any new friends.  Oops.

In America, I didn't exactly have friends from Singapore.  Maybe because often I was one of the very few Asian students dancing.  If I did encounter an Asian friend, the friend would usually be from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan.  Or my Asian friend would be Asian American, second, third- generation, born on Golden Mountain.  When I moved to New York City, I made my first true Singaporean friend.  We became flatmates.  Then I went on my first blind date.  My blind date became my husband, and he moved me back to his native Singapore.

When I moved back to Singapore in 1995 and 2005, I had of course, my incredible, irreplaceable, forever friend Trace, and a few other friends from childhood whom I admire.
Friendship immortalized in Elle Singapore, 2006 
Friends from childhood become like family.  Family, yes you love, but perhaps don't see as often as you ought to, as life moves on and on.  SF introduced me to S whom I adore and miss, and then while obsessing over horses, I found my Thursday Lunch Table.
photo credit- YL
As a (shy-ish) loner, I have no idea how I have been gifted with so many beautiful friends!  I am even more spoilt here in London.  For the first time in my life, I have moved to a new city and simply not bothered reaching out, because some of my best friends, from would you believe, Singapore, are here as well!

A dark, stormy, Friday night.  I text K:  Heaven-ing?  She replies:  Possibly.  You wanna come?  Just like that, I could be out dancing to the 80s all night long in the company of one of the kindest and most intelligent woman I've ever known.
Superstar K.  
Earlier today and all of yesterday morning, my young, sweet, gorgeous friend TJ gets us both back on horses, and my London mornings re-charge with serenity, purpose, joy.
photo credit- TJ   His name is, Victor :) 
 Not only are we finally riding again, we have repeated with remarkable ease, The Post-Riding Meal; the sort of meal where time is lost and the only conversation heard is an excited, babbling rush!
The Post-Riding Meal
Wednesday, I laid the table for the precious, earth-goddess SF.  
It was SF who explained British Laws, and took me step by step, through the harrowing process of buying a London home.  When I could not physically be in London, she went and did the reconnaissance on my behalf.
Once, BOTH K & SF went- here they are showing me the front door of flat x!
I love CS, my tall, strong, very blond and blue-eyed American BFF.  But this post is really about  Girlfriend Power, Singapore-style, London-based.  When they come over?  Singapore Girls always bring the most thoughtful of gifts- food!  Specifically, comfort food from home!  

Curry powder from Katong!  Thanks, SF!

Instant Laksa, Prima Brand?!  Awesome!

Cooked up immediately to combat Puffy Eyes/Long Distance Marriage Blues.  Thanks, TJ!

No comments:

Post a Comment