Categories

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Home...

This weekend, we took the Great Western train out to Cheltenham to visit Summie.
All Aboard!
This is my fourth time with her since school started in September.  It was really good seeing her.  She is doing well, just exhausted from school, and nursing a sore throat.
Hope you feel better soon, Summie!
Maybe it's because Thanksgiving is this Thursday.  Or maybe it's the horrible train ride back.
Here we go, again.
The last time I took the Sunday train from Cheltenham, a man had passed out across the aisle.  To get to my seat?  I climbed over him.

This afternoon the same train was so crowded, it was almost impossible to board.  The reality of being stranded in Swindon propelled me forward into the nearest cabin.  There were no seats left.  Bruno and I carved a corner right where everyone had dumped their bags without thought.  I stood the whole way back to London, grateful, grateful, that the train was moving, and that Bruno had morphed into the traveling Buddha.

Adults and children were sprawled in disarray on the floor.  I looked out the window and tried to think positive things, like hey, it's not raining!  The train is still moving, on time!  Oh look, a field of horses!

The Buddha took short naps.  I patted him unceasingly.  I think I was trying to placate myself.
Bruno- Are we there yet, Mommy....zzzzz...

Because all I could think of in truth was- I am so sick of public transportation.  And the louder thought- damn it, I want to go home.

But, I don't know where home is anymore.

Home?

Home?


Sigh.  
Home.
photo credit- Andrew L.

No comments:

Post a Comment