Categories

Saturday, December 14, 2013

It Came Upon a Midnight Clear

Jet lagged and awake, I obsess about the third draft.

At daylight, Bruno and I grab something to eat, 
 then head off.

First stop- my favorite shabby chic store just off Portobello Road, where service is top-notch, and I know I will find something I absolutely need.

I'm taking the bench- it's perfect!  I'm going to re-purpose it as a coffee table.

Ho ho ho!  I'm taking the cushion as well.  And some candles, and a few baubles for my fireplace.  I even asked if they had any feathers- they do!  Excellent.  I'm taking feathers too.

We passed an enticing-looking biscuit store.

We got some cupcakes for the staff who helped us.

I get on with my third draft.
fa la la, la la la, la la la!
I just think feathers add instant glamour!  
I ran out of space on the mantle so I threw the rest into my table piece.  

The cushion was just as I had imagined.

The next morning, I find that in 500-sf ft, I now finally have, a living room!

(It would be lovely to have some of the art from the Singapore flat transferred here.  And I know my daughter is itching for a Christmas tree...)

I tell my husband I'll work on decorating the kitchen and windows, next Christmas.  He sighs audibly, with relief.

At 15:09, she's home.  I almost didn't recognize her at the station!  She has a hat framing her face and her hair in loose curls.  Who is this beguiling creature flinging limbs around me so tightly?

She enters the flat and tells me I'm pretty good at spray painting (!).  She has a look around and declares that I am very creative (!).

I am a little in awe watching her move about, hearing her speak.  

I've brought you a present, Mama.
Oh, you didn't have to do that!  Don't buy Mom anything!
  I'm not sure if you'll like it, cuz you are so fussy!  
Yah, I am...
I hope you like it!  Open it!  It's for you!  It matches your couch!


I've no idea how she chanced upon the picture, nor the frame.  But here we are, caught together, in sunshine.
Oh.

My grown up daughter, once held in my body, kicking, breathing, feasting.

It's us, I say.  Mom looks like you.


It was very frightening being 25, 26, heavily pregnant, unemployed, non-dancing, displaced in Singapore, sheltered by my husband's family.  I have never felt so alone, nor so miserable.

When she came, things didn't get easier.  But she ignited within me,"that glorious song of old".
She brought me, courage.

"...the world in solemn stillness lay/ to hear the angels sing."

No comments:

Post a Comment