Categories

Friday, January 17, 2014

A Sad Day

*  All photographs of Buzz belong to TJ & YL, as posted on respective Facebook pages.

My inbox is filled with heartache and sorrow.

Equus Anonymous tells me, Buzz has died today.

Everyone loves, Buzz.  Buzz is the most gentle, kindest and forgiving of all creatures great and small.  Whip him, kick him, yank on his reins?  Buzz never ever throws a tantrum back, never begrudges, and always holds his end of things, keeping all safe.

I think YL and TJ love him most.
 Between them, they have doted on his care with carrots, apples, injections, massages, hugs and kisses a plenty.
 Last year they went to Malaysia, looking at a potential retirement home for him.

I've only ridden Buzz once.  Word is that he was the free gift thrown in when a fancy French horse was purchased.

In the end, I think Buzz brought in quite a fair share of income because you could put anyone on Buzz, knowing that the rider would emerge after  the 45- minute session, alive and in one piece.  Had a nasty fall?  Lost your verve?  No problem.  Buzz was the solution to re-introducing what it felt like to be back in the saddle again.  The girls always referred to him as the bomb-proof horse, and that riding him was like being carried by a couch.
I've never heard of anyone falling off Buzz, or being thrown off because Buzz bolted, or spooked, or bucked.  If a rider had the misfortune of falling off him, news of his/her silliness and lack of grace, would possibly spread like an untamed fire.  Because Buzz can do no wrong.

I am shocked by his sudden death.  He died today while being ridden.  I'm guilty of assuming that one day he would be retired by the girls, spend his last years, chilling, and not having to work so hard.

His death saddens me tremendously, because Buzz reminds me too much of my dog, Angel.  That same dependable, relaxed, gentle attitude.  The eyes that lock yours with the sweetest understanding.  Break into my flat?  Angel will welcome you with licks and kisses, if he can even be bothered to first stir from bed.

When death of such a loved being is sudden, it brings immense grief and perhaps some regret.  Across oceans and time, we hold each other and try to comfort ourselves thinking, finally, Buzz is free.

So the year of the horse has begun with the death of a loved horse.   The end of an era, TJ says, and I agree.  I want to scoop all whom I love and hold you close.  Love you while I can, for as long as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment