Categories

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Live Performance

Photo credit-  Wimbledon Village Stables
Mascara?  Two coats.  Concealer?  Under the eyes.  Sunblock?  Three layers.

Hair?  Pinned up neatly.  Helmet?  Super-glued all loose, torn bits.  White dressage trousers?  Brand-new, bought from the teenaged boys' section with Bruno patiently waiting.
Patient Bruno.
Belly button?  Un-pierced, sucked towards the spine.  Shoulders?  Soft and held back.  Torso?  Lengthened.  Heels, hips, and ears? In one straight line.  Elbows?  The bane of my equestrian existence, bent.

Horse?  Muddy and Very Alert.

Weather?  Sunny.

Sunny weather.  Oh no.  I have not factored in sun and blue skies.  Dumpling is suddenly invigorated by the sun.  Along the way to the Commons, another horse acts silly, and Dumpling is inspired to buck, and jump, and jump.

Amazing.  I don't get thrown off.
Photo Credit-  Wimbledon Village Stables
Waiting in the Wings...
There are four of us taking the test today.  We do a quick warm-up together, and then we wait our turns.

Dumpling and I go second.  I am thinking- look for the markers, look for the markers!  I am thinking, keep him calm, keep him calm.  And then I am thinking, geez, I haven't lost my stirrups for once, and wow, Dumpling, your right canter lead feels unusually balanced, have we really sorted that out?!  Good boy, good boy!  Surely at this point, choreographically it would make the most kinesthetic sense to do that damn diagonal path, across the arena!  Here I go, and all I need to do next is transition into trotting down the center line into a halt at the G marker, and then the practised bow.  I can't believe it!  Dumpling, we're just about done!  Good boy, Dumpling, good boy, Dumpling!

A loud shout- Tammy, NO!  You are supposed to canter him straight down the long side first! 

And I am awakened from, daydreaming.

Fuck.

Live performance?  A lot of fun!  How not to feel heightened and alive?  Anything can happen, no matter how prepared one gets because the body is the instrument, and the body is human, and the partner is also a living being with mood swings.
Me & my partner.
In dance, we practise religiously.  When dancing, I always think, listen to the music, the music will tell me what to do next.  Because there is the presence of music, there is no need for me to, panic.
Photo Credit-  Ethos Books
'A' is for Achar, 'L' is for Love, Book Launch, all choreography/text/artistic direction by me
My favourite Singaporean dance partner is YW.  We actually listen to the music in the same manner.  And when I get too overwhelmed, and teeter on the edge of daydreaming, YW always catches me; prompting me with a nudge, a clutch of my costume, or a subtle shifting of his eyes as to what step comes next.

(The audience doesn't see all this of course.  The audience sees intimacy, physical skill, and thinks- smoking!)
Photo Credit-  Ethos Books
Today I am grateful that I performed the test with Dumpling.  He is a great little horse.  That same comfort and chemistry YW and I share on stage, I am re-living now with Dumpling.  We just really need to practise more.

No comments:

Post a Comment