Categories

Friday, May 2, 2014

While on The Honeymoon We Never Had...

Last week, Jon and I went on a lunch date that sort of evolved into the honeymoon (Trace's term/absolutely apt) we never had.

There was a tube strike in London.  Instead of returning to London on Tuesday as originally planned, Jon agreed to detour to Paris.

In Paris, he wanted to see the Arc de Triomphe,
and asked me to show him around my "new hood", the 6th.
Le Comptoir du Relais, 9 Carrefour de l' Odéon
 He humoured me by actually climbing up the Arc, and agreed to consider any whim I may have about relocating to Paris for a while.
THANKS, BABY!
So on this honeymoon, I learnt, that when you love somebody, you do things you never quite imagined, and that the things you do for love, spring spontaneously.

I also learnt, there is just no substitute for the passing of time.  I have given Jon my 20s, my 30s, and now, God-willing, my 40s.  It really takes time for love to root, blossom and branch.

In 1995, after the wedding celebrations, Jon took me to Thailand for three days.  There he said, Lets make a baby.  I spent those three days in utter bewilderment.  

In Paris, I look at Jon and think- gosh, how he didn't know me then, and how very well he knows me, now!
PHEW.  Jon Knows Me.
On this the honeymoon we never had, I learnt, my husband eats, snails!
                         And that he doesn't quite know how to share an umbrella.
Dinner Conversation:
Baby?  Why is your hair so wet?
Because you didn't cover me with the umbrella when we were walking in the rain.

I learnt, he is also not the sort to woo a girl.
Woo a girl?  Hmmm- what do you mean?!
You know, go in pursuit of.... Can't be bothered right?
Hmmm.  But you don't need to be woo-ed!
No, I'm not saying to woo me.  I'm just saying...
But to be fair to me, I did come to see you in NYC...
Oh.  So that's wooing for you?
Well, do you know how far it is to fly from Singapore to NYC?

I think the honeymoon ended when he folded and unfolded me in his arms at Heathrow.  I think God brought Jon into my life to humble me.  I think I have too much pride in solitude and the self, and God is saying, here is a good man who lets you be alone, but in his every departure, you are a mess.  I know God is teaching me through Jon, that love, only love, is patient.  That love, only love, is kind.  

You know something, God?  Love can also feel like a knife, or a sharp pin.  Incisive.  
For if you press a needle closely against skin, all you see is, red.



No comments:

Post a Comment