Categories

Friday, February 13, 2015

Humpty Dumpty 2

* Images may be too startling for some- read at own discretion.

Humpty Dumpty has a new arm!
Bruised, scarred, filled with metallic charm.
Humpty's new arm freaks her out.
It looks like an eel, but not wiggling about.
***
Day 3, post removal of cast.
  Rise and shine, Angel.  I've got work to do.
Angel-  But it's Saturday.

First things first.  Gently massaging my arm to try and improve blood flow, wake deteriorated muscles, and prevent too much stiffening of tissues around the scars.
All the yellowing is simply the bruising healing.
The wounds are thankfully clean.

Practising rotating the lower arm.  Trying to get my palm to fully face upwards.
And then downwards..
I repeat this about ten times.
These microscopic movements are as much as I am able to achieve today.  

Then I practise the hinging stuff.
HOORAY!  
My arm lifts up at my FIRST attempt, unlike the previous day where it laid unresponsive!
(The goal is to one day be able to lift it with the palm fully facing upwards.)

I do this another ten times, bearing in mind what my therapist had cautioned against, when he realised  how hard-core a patient he has.

Lastly, I work on straightening my arm.
That's where my arm is at now.  
Both Dr C and Dr L had gravely forewarned that aside from possibly never being able to touch my face again, I may never be able to straighten my arm either.

The wonderful thing about the voice of reason and the voice of doom is, it fuels determination.

I can't get my arm to straighten beyond this place now, even with gravity pulling at it.
So I decide to tag the hinging exercise stealthily to the straightening exercise, and this is what I got.
***
Humpty spent the morning looking at fear.
She touched it, stroked it, kept it near.
Humpty is facing a new wall.
When she gets there, she'll stand up tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment