Categories

Thursday, May 21, 2015

The End

On the other side of this earth, in a city utterly foreign to me, lies a young man.

I think of him often.

One afternoon, I took him to the zoo.  While trying to strap him in his seat, he looked at me searchingly, then said- You look like Popo Kim.

When he was little, he had my husband's face.  I would look at him, and think, how handsome.

When I got married, he refused to walk down the aisle with the rings.  He sat down on the ground scowling.  Then he laid on his back, and kicked his legs in fury.

***
Late in the afternoon, she calls me in disbelief.
 I'm done!  It's over.  I'm not sure what to do next!  I feel I need to study, but it's over!  I'm even all packed!  I can't wait to see you again!  What are you doing now, Mom?


Aw, thank you so much, Mommy!

It's so comforting to have a home!


Packing makes me happy because it's all going into a home!!!

I can't wait to see the flat!

You are a super star!

Thank you for being on my journey with me!

***
We've come to the end.  The end of the IB exams, the end of high school, the end of.  At physio today, RM gets my elbow to bend past 120 degrees to 130 degrees.  To celebrate, I buy myself a new helmet.  I'm going to get back on Dumpling, soon, soon.

When I think of the young man, I sometimes think, how easily it could have been, her,  had I not- 
photo credit-  TY Choo
Her voice jolting-
Mom, sorry- when you have a moment can you email my house to confirm I'm leaving by train?  Because originally you were coming to get me…



(The End)



No comments:

Post a Comment