Categories

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Thunder, Feathers and A Non-Thinking Broccoli Casserole

More life-affirming days.

TJ graduates London Business School!  Hearing her name called out and watching her tall, willowy form stride across the stage, my hands became clumsy trying to clap and cheer and snap pictures all at once.
***

Yesterday morning, I stepped out of the shower knowing that at some point between soap and hot water, he slipped away.
***

Mom?  I'm sad.  I miss Daddy, Summer said.  Are you sad?   
Mom?  I'm hungry.  I really need to eat lunch.
***

Maybe it's the food.  It says everything we can't find the appropriate words for.

Do your folks and you like broccoli and cheese?  Can I make a broccoli casserole instead of- I asked K.
Yes!  Sounds yummy, said K.
***

Something about childhood that binds and blurs the borders of friendship and time.  
Can I adopt your parents?
Only if you give me permission to marry Summie!
***

We did good, Baby- his head bent low, his hold, tight.
***

I've been thinking of grandmothers.  The formidable Mrs Chan Khai Way- Summie has her forehead, the sort of high, wide forehead that Chinese people find, intelligent.  Summie's news would resonate the loudest with her.

I imagine Mrs Chew Lian Seng's fury.  How single-minded, how large her anger must have been for her to board that boat, sail towards the unknown, because her parents sent only their sons to America for school.  How hungry she must have been to learn.

And my Popo- I can see her smiling back at me, her eyes so bright with delight.  Popo, she did it!

If these women were still with us, they would be 100-120 years old.  Their great granddaughter's thunder would be feathers in their caps and bouffant hair.
***

Tam's (Non-Thinking) Broccoli Casserole:
-  Broccoli
-  1 small jar of mayonnaise
-1 large onion
- large slab of butter
-   1 can of asparagus/mushroom/celery soup 
-  2 large eggs
- Ritz crackers
- shredded cheese
- pepper and salt

*   Boil/blanche the broccoli, take care not to over-cook
*  Dice and fry up the onions with butter and pepper
*  Beat up the eggs, adding a dash of salt and water
*  Put all of the above into a large bowl
*  Add the soup into the same bowl
*Stir everything together, taking care to mix well
*  Transfer the mixture into a baking dish
*  Crush the crackers, place it on the very top
*  Add shredded cheese above the crackers
*  Place dish in the oven to bake/cook for about 20 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment