Categories

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Empty Nest

Used to be that the drive along the 405 to LAX was one of the saddest moments in my marriage.  We would sit in silence, each not saying what the other truly felt, and instead busy ourselves with the mundane-  What are you doing for dinner later,  how's the upgrading works at Toa Payoh, please send love to your parents, Summie needs a pair of boots for soccer, I'll get my thesis done ahead of time.

Loving and leaving, leaving and loving is not easy to do.

This time round, I secretly rejoiced that I don't feel the same kind of pain as the last time we did a long-distance marriage. + London is so much closer to Singapore.  If I stay up, or wake early enough, we even share the same day.  

I spent my last hours in Singapore waiting for him.

But when the laughter died, and I saw how tightly her arms clung around him and her unexpected sobbing, something broke inside of me as well.  She loves her father so completely and so deeply.  Last night she learnt for the first time, that love in its purest form, brings in its wake, a blinding grief.
With this lesson, I think, my precious Summer, you have finally taken a step into adulthood.  And with your step, Mom and Dad then begin a new moment in our marriage, titled, The Empt Nest.


No comments:

Post a Comment