Categories

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Traveling (Lightly, & with Puppy) Tips

As I had my tooth prodded and cleaned out, I kept thinking, we need to travel lighter, for the upcoming trip.  All that boarding and disembarking of trains, negotiating stairs, cobblestoned streets, and country dirt roads, have taught me, that although a small bag is necessary, a wheeled bag is not always the most practical of ways to traverse terrain, with a pint-sized puppy in tow.

My New Plan
A.  New Equipment
1.  The Tumi Alpha Bravo Essential Tote

I love it (so far)!  Bruno loves it.  Lightweight, waterproof, bullet-proof- the works.  The details on the bag are practical and handsome.  If I laid a towel in it, it can easily double up as a dog carrier as well, as long as it stays unzipped (so Bruno can breathe).  It encourages organisation and negates the need to pack a purse.

2.  Pet Messenger Sling/Bag (Wagwear)
My new friend!  For public transportation, entry into stores, and other moments when you don't want your poor dog to be trampled upon, and need your hands free.

B.  Wardrobe

1.  Mine- London uniform but with red nail polish, as a gesture of respect to the city I am visiting.  


2.  Bruno-  Replicate London threads
Raincoat and jumper.

C.  Documents
Passports, proof of vaccinations for Bruno, map, utility bill with my name on it, and documentation proving that Summie is my daughter and legally at school (to pre-empt any misunderstanding for re-entry into the UK)

D.  Bruno's Other Stuff
toys, treats, food, flat-feeding dish, cleaning fluids, spoon, travel wipes, potty bags, towel, blankie, comb, water-bottle, and a contact of an English-speaking vet (veterinaire/ "veto")
It's a dog's life!
If there's space, I'm contemplating bringing his igloo bed as it packs easily and can be rolled out on a train journey for him to rest in, and allows him a sense of home at a new hotel.

E.  Tapeworm Treatment
Thinking ahead of our return into the UK, Bruno went to the vet this afternoon at 15:00 hours.  DEFRA laws require all dogs to be treated for tapeworm between 24- 120 hours prior to entering the UK.

Dr P also checked that Bruno's microchip was still readable, and that all his shots were still current.

I hope this helps someone in similar shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment