Categories

Monday, March 24, 2014

Spring Break, Day 1

Two facts that only serve to prompt creative thinking:
1.  Non-service dogs are not allowed on the Eurostar.
There is a petition to encourage a change of the above.  I signed in, but in the mean time...

2.  You cannot fly with a dog in- cabin into the UK.


Thus far, since bringing him into the UK, I have not attempted bringing him out.  I wanted to go on a little adventure, wander streets, get a little lost, be in a non-speaking English environment for a change. I was not able to find the relevant information I needed, so am documenting our journey today, for both my future needs, and for anyone else wondering.

Day 1 (Traveling Day):
1.  Point of Departure-  W2, London

2.  Left the flat at 08:00 to walk him around the block, and then caught the Circle Line to King's Cross-St Pancras.  On Moscow Road, beneath the eves of a new-build, Bruno jumps into his sling without being prompted.  Good boy, Bruno!


3.  Get on the 09:10 Southeastern High Speed Train to Folkestone, from St Pancras.

Note- * Here's what I've learnt- on the information board at the station, this train is listed as heading towards Dover Priory (last stop).  If your geography is as bad as mine, no fear- at some point, the board will list all the stops it makes before it arrives at Dover, and you will see Folkestone listed.

*There are two stations at Folkestone.  You want to get off at Folkestone West- the train will stop there, even if you purchase a ticket saying direct travel to Folkestone Central which was what I originally did.  There is no need to change the ticket.  You can still use the same ticket to get on and get off at Folkestone West.  You want to get to Folkestone West because it is only a 5-minute drive to the Eurotunnel.

4.  This time, I arranged for Folkestone Taxis to pick me up and drive me across to France.  Would I use them again?  Yes.  They are excellent.  My driver was standing on the platform at Folkestone West waiting for me.  He had paperwork on him.  The company had the initiative to look into Eurotunnel train times for me, and did all the necessary paperwork for Eurotunnel travel on my behalf.  They were prompt and polite on all communication.

5.  We made it to the barriers in good time.  But we experienced a faulty barrier.  So by the time we passed through, even though we could have gotten onto the 10:50 train, security was not helpful, and made us wait for the next train (11:25).


6.  Here is where Folkestone Taxis impressed again.  My driver called the office to check through TGV train times departing Calais towards Paris.  There are 2 stations in Calais- I was booked to leave on the 13:24 TGV train from Calais Ville.  My driver suggested he take me to Calais Frethun instead, where after confirmation from office staff at Folkestone Taxis, I could for sure, catch the same train that will have to pass through Frethun at 13:36.  Frethun, I learnt, is only a 5-min drive from the Eurotunnel, right off the freeway, on the French side of things.  There is no need to deal with village traffic and crowds.
When we got to Calais Frethun, he showed me where the platforms were, as well as directed me to the ticket office.  He also offered to wait with me until everything got sorted out (change of station, purchase of a ticket for Bruno). 
Note- *  When making train travel arrangements, do remember there is a time difference between France and the UK.  
*  The Eurotunnel journey is 35 mins.  Don't take it if you get claustrophobic.  Once you board, there is no way out, until you arrive at respective borders.
*  If you are planning on driving yourself, this would still be the route.  Arriving in France, departing the UK, there were no immigration officers on duty today.  You leave the Eurotunnel, and drive directly onto the freeway.
*  Dogs are permitted on the TGV (hooray!), but they'll need tickets.  I bought Bruno's at the station.  It costs 7 euros.

7.  At Calais Frethun, all the announcements were made only in French.  The loud voice booming over the PA system in rapid French startled both Bruno and me!
8.  On the TGV, the carriages numbered 2 are at either ends of the train, and the coaches numbered 1 are in the middle.

9.  At 15:17, we arrived at Gare du Nord.  We then got on the Metro 4 line towards the Left Bank.

10.  At 16:00, we are warmly welcomed at our hotel.  The staff offered champagne, laid out a blanket for Bruno on the chair next to me, and brought him some water.

Total Travel Time Today?  7 hours.  But honestly it was worth every minute of traveling together, keeping him calm and happy, plus how very much I enjoy his company!

Now to find him a patch of grass and a tree.

2 comments:

  1. SUCH good info, Tammy — thank you! What service did you use to return to the U.K. on this trip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, my pleasure- especially if it helps someone else out! I made the same journey in reverse to return to the UK, and Folkestone Taxies picked me up again. (I've since used them for another trip as well.)

    ReplyDelete