Categories

Friday, August 1, 2014

Puppy Love

I'm having a great summer, especially because I just met a new Puppy.

I've never ridden the Puppy before.  He came to Singapore perhaps 2-3 years ago.  All I hear of him are moans and groans.  He can't keep a straight line!  He won't move!  He threw me off!

I think I learnt a few things in London.  I wondered if I could practise what I learnt with the Puppy and help him out.  I stood in front of the notice board at the stables looking at the list of "available" horses.  Some are even for sale.  

Maybe it's like going to a pound, and the puppy finds you and calls you home.

So I asked for the Puppy, and took him for a walk.

Showed him the paddock, where he initially did not know what to do, so just stood staring back at me.

I cuddled him.

He didn't protest.  I made him walk some more.  

I bought a new whip and got on him.  The first 2 times I rode him, I was just fighting to keep balanced, keep my heels down, and try not to crash into the fences or other riders.  (No pictures as my hands were too busy.)  I realise I am going to have to teach the Puppy to keep a straight line, and learn that a circle is not a square.

If I were to be very honest, I'm not usually drawn to such a laid-back animal.  I  really like my horse with sparkle and attitude.  But the Puppy looked back at me with calmness.

And I was reminded, that much as I like Attitude and Sparkle in my horse and my dog, I am actually very familiar with what it means to love and live with the Couch Potatoes.  My husband for starters is so mellow, unless unjustly provoked.  My daughter is as laid-back and carefree.  And my Angel dog?  Flunked out of Advance Doggy School, passed Canine Good Behavior 101 on good looks, and daydreams on his walks.

Getting on the Puppy's back is easy.  He stands with patience.  Moving the Puppy is not easy.  He's happier standing still, eyes half-closed.  Then there is the reality that he can leap from lethargy to the might of a speeding train, off rails, as he struggles with directional changes.  At all times, there are voices in my head.

My voice- "Everyone, Stay Away- cuz, er, we might collide into you!"
My English Teacher's voice- "Reward him!  Just take whatever he offers!  Don't correct him!'
Another English voice- "Is it him or is it you, that has problems steering?"

I wish I had the whole summer to get to know him better, and let him know me.  I think with patience, positivity and sheer hard work, we could really arrive on mutual terms.

But London beckons.  All we have left are 4 more days.

Never mind, Puppy.  We'll just relish whatever time we are given.  Thank you for humbling me and teaching me patience and good humour.  Please get off my leg tomorrow on count 1, and quit thinking of bucking me off.

*photos of Puppy and Me by YL

No comments:

Post a Comment