Categories

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Writing Work

After my Morning Mommy Duties,


I fixed my hair, and went to work.

Some wonderful writers are gathering this weekend, and lucky, lucky me, received an invite!

I'm scheduled with two other female writers at 3:15pm.  I wait incognito at Trail Blazers, where I note a roomful of attentive Baby Boomers.

The Q & A proved quite invigorating.  It was interesting to hear what older writers have to say about race issues, national identity and the current state of affairs in Singapore.

I'm not sure what's expected of me.  But KH who moderated the next hour, Family Portrait, was spot on with timing and flow.

So I ended up speaking a bit.  I talked about what inspired the first book.  KH said he read my book and that it felt like a dance.  So I talked about choreographing the book, both books, because that is how I write.  I really am concerned with craft and structure, and establishing a specific rhythm. 

I listened a lot as well.
photo credit:  HF, Ethos Books
The other writers had so much to share. 
Josephine Chia (Frog Under a Coconut Shell) spoke of extreme poverty, of abuse, a mother with grace, lost to Alzheimer's. 

Katherine Seow (Seven Generations and Counting) recalled a grandmother, on the eve of her 99th birthday, an education at the Singapore Chinese Girls' School, and a sprawling family home on Scotts Road.

The afternoon ended with the writers and audience agreeing that some questions, never find their answers, no matter the research or thoroughness of writing.  Perhaps a good book, contains an element of mystery, I said.



No comments:

Post a Comment