Categories

Sunday, September 28, 2014

One Year Later

She turned 18.

She took her best friends out to dinner to celebrate.  She told me not to come.  When I saw her this weekend, she curled into me, patted my arm, and kept asking me if I had missed her.  

I wished you were at my birthday!  I've missed you so much!  I'm so glad you are here!
Huh?  But you told me not to come.
I know!  I had a great birthday, but still, I miss you!  Do you miss me?

On Saturday she took us to her favourite Asian restaurant in this town.
Kibou Sushi, 18 Regent Street
 She doesn't eat here often.  She tells me it's too expensive for her.  I order two platters of sushi, vegetable gyozas for us to share, and befriend the owner.  I'm really proud of my daughter's good sense.

Too soon, the weekend is over.  Once again, it's time to part.

Will you be ok, Mom?  Mom, can you write a letter to sort out Saturday?  Mom, I'm so tired, please get rid of school on Saturday!  What time is your train, Mom?  Take care, ok, Mom?

Mom, try and eat more, ok?  Mom, are you eating more than one meal a day? Mom, you're very skinny!  Mom, do you realise you either always look like a farmer, or you look like a movie star?  Mom, don't inject your face with botox ok?!!
Mom, are you really wearing that?  Oh never mind!  My friends think you are like so stylish, ok, I think this outfit works!

Mom?  Can I have your black cardigan and can I have... as I can't fit into your shoes?!  Mom, can you buy me a birthday present?  Mom, I don't want to walk Bruno!  

Mom?  I don't want to go back to school... It's so hard, I'm so tired!
Mom, can you write a letter to my school, please?  
(Hmm.  Repetition observed.  She believes my writing can move mountains, because once I wrote a thesis and got her out of compulsory primary school education in Singapore.)
(background- school)
Mom, I'm 18 now, aren't I old?  I feel so different...

Mom, don't forget about me, ok?  Mom?  I love you, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment