Categories

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The (Familiar) Train Journey

Reading, Stonehouse.
Last year I didn't know such places existed.  Now I do.  I pass these towns taking her to school, and on my return journey back.

Didcot Parkway, Stroud.

A year ago, he was here to help.  She was a new girl, in a new school, in a new country.

This year she said, Mom, I can move back by myself.  
I know you can.  But while Mom is still able, I can help you- the bags are heavy.

She was assigned a new room.  We moved one bag yesterday.  We moved another bag today.  She had boxes.  Her friends helped.  I had a train to catch.

Cheltenham, Gloucester.

At Gloucester, the train will stop for a while, then move in the opposite direction.  So I always change seats at Gloucester.

We hugged tightly.  
Mom, don't cry, her voice was stern in jest.
Have a wonderful year, Summie!  Enjoy yourself!  
I kept my sunglasses on.

 London Paddington, my favourite station, arrived.  

Where will we be next fall?  I can't seem to conjure it up.

I wondered aloud instead- What's it like to come from a happy family, Summie?
I never worry about stuff, she said.  Because I know you'll be there for me.
There with her, for her, on the steps of her current school.


No comments:

Post a Comment