Categories

Friday, December 5, 2014

Crazy Rich Asians (Kevin Kwan)

En route back to London, I read a wonderful book.

The book kept me laughing and laughing.  When I finished reading, 5 hours had passed.

I don't know Kevin Kwan.  I suspect that if he or I made an attempt to connect some dots, we might just "know" each other, in the way that only Singapore can link two strangers.

I sent him a congratulatory note via his Facebook page. I'm re-reading the book while nursing my concussion, and it still makes me laugh!  Here's what I love most about the book- finally a Singaporean writer that is not writing with tedious angst, but one spinning a tale in a voice so unabashedly confident, and with so much humour!  Finally a writer from Singapore, with a book inspired by Singapore, yet one that easily transcends geographical and cultural barriers!  And finally, a book that satirises so many people I recognise, love and dread, and sheds more light on...my mother-in-law!

The storyline is simple, and in its simplicity, brilliant.  ABC girl meets Singapore boy who then invites her home for the summer.  On home ground, Singapore boy is not who she thought he was, and thus begins the drama of conflicting cultures- old world and new, old money and new money, the Overseas Chinese and Mainland Chinese etc.

The book is an international bestseller, and word is, it may be turned into a movie.  If you enjoyed The Joy Luck Club (I didn't), Crazy Rich Asians is a tour de force- satire, voyeurism, just plain good fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment