Categories

Friday, April 3, 2015

Keeping On

"You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?" -  Rumi

Week 8, post-operation, Bruno is home; his sheer presence giving me a joyful boost in confidence with my wounded wing.  For starters, I can carry and cuddle him close!
Unlike in late January, when I could hardly lift him, leash him up, put his coat on, now I am able to fully engage my wing in his care.

Encouraged, I attempted pulling on, and buckling my jeans...
Mommy!  This is a milestone for you!  Summie exclaimed.
Indeed.  I am so pleased, I don't take my jeans off for the rest of the week.

Keep on keeping on- my therapist in Singapore kindly said to me.

 I keep on and on.  I wonder if the rehabilitation work is timely, in the face of death and loss.
photo credit-  A. Huang
Last night we had dinner with K.  Once seated, Bruno curled up in my lap, hanging his head over my good arm.  Without thinking, I reached for the wine glass with my bad wing.  With some effort, I managed to bend my elbow enough, to drink.  I practised this motion throughout the evening- bend, extend, bend, extend, drink, drink, drink.

Another milestone!

About 9 weeks ago, I sat very still in a room with three doctors, listening to doom.  One of the things said to me, was the reality of never being able to touch my face again.

This morning, I tried the unimaginable.
I can touch my face!  I told Jon.  I can kind of touch my face!

I played with gestures, articulating my fingers.

I managed to scoop my hair back, touch the sides of my head.

Baby, he said excitedly.  As soon as you feel stronger, you must get back on a horse!  It'll be good for you, for your healing!
photo credit-  HYL
I tried arranging my hands in prayer.
It wasn't as easy to do.  My hand lacks the strength for pronating, I can't yet bend my elbow deeper to draw my hands to my heart.

I'll just keep on, keeping on.  Besides, now I have a formidable ally in Heaven!
Popo?  Please hear my prayer.
photo credit-  Cousin B

No comments:

Post a Comment