Categories

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Luxury

Currently homeless, I couldn't bring myself to check into Number 16 for an indefinite stretch of time.  

I decided to slum it.

When I saw the decor however, my heart sank,
sank, 
sank.

Number 16 is but one-tube stop away.
  If I called for help, I might just get there in a jiffy, and Jon would understand.

I decided to get showered.  The bathroom is clean, and there are fresh towels, never mind the thread count.

So I shut the door.  
And the handle fell off completely.
And bits of the door crumbled to my feet.
And Bruno and I are stuck, locked upstairs.

Because my heart had already descended to my feet, there was no place else for it to go.  Which sometimes, I think, is a wonderful place to be- you know, down in the dumps.  For the next logical place to move one's spirits, surely is, up.

For some unknown reason, my cell was in my pocket.  I called the London Girls for help.  J secured the number to reception, I waited to be rescued.

While waiting, the memory of previous homes, came rushing back...
photo credit- The Business Times, Singapore
Help came!  But Help kept buzzing the front door downstairs.  How was I to answer that, when I was trapped upstairs?

I've been so fortunate to have lived my married life in some gorgeous spaces.
photo credit- The Business Times, Singapore
Surely I could brave the current abode for a few weeks?

Huddled in the cold on a piece of worn cardboard, by the nearest tube station, is a man and his dog, while here I was, secured, in a room with central heating, listening to Help buzz on and on.

There's a kitchen space on the lower level; I can improvise meals and feed Summie when she gets in.

There are hangers, an iron, an ironing board, and laundry facilities in the basement.  Everything is kept tidy.  Service is kind, waiving the mandatory dog fee for us.  The trash is removed daily.  If I keep the curtains pulled open, some light has a chance to slide in.  It is also less noisy here, and did I mention, free wifii is provided?

Gosh, Bruno.  We are living in luxury!

Luxury-  Citadines, 35A Gloucester Road, SW7 4PL

No comments:

Post a Comment