Categories

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Flowers

In the middle of the morning, the sun went away, and the rains came.  I looked out my little kitchen window and felt an incredible sense of peace, and joy.  Today is the eve of my birthday.  I whisper a big thank-you to God.

My husband doesn't care much for birthdays.  But he knows they mean something to me.  As I am whispering my thanks, the buzzer sounds, and I receive the unexpected gift of flowers.
I know it's from him.  He's not a person that likes grand gestures.  But his love is so encompassing and free.

In the afternoon, Bruno and I head out to Knightsbridge.  The Circle Line is functioning today.  We get out at South Kensington and don't bother switching tubes- it is too oppressive and hot.  We walk the rest of the way.
Ona has returned to Thailand and is no longer working on Sloane Street.  I meet Gilbert, who takes down my details.  Then we find some place cute to eat.  Chinese people like eating well on birthdays.  I think there's a superstition- I'm not sure what.  But best not fight traditions, especially in a "foreign" land.
Woah!  Two thumbs up for The Pantechnicon- the staff is so polite and warm, Bruno is instantly given a big bowl of water once we were seated.  Off a little neighborhood street, it is the perfect place to celebrate a quiet birthday.

I ordered the fish of the day so I could feed Bruno as well.

Decor is down- to- earth, unfussy.  The menu is interesting, and feels locally sourced.  Breakfast is served all day until 4pm.
A happy Bruno.  The Pantechnicon, 10 Motcomb Street

Getting home, we took a different bus.  The bus went past the Royal Albert Hall, Westfields Mall, and Holland Park.  So I got to see more of London.

Truth is, a long-distance relationship sucks.  I think it helps when the woman is not some damsel in constant distress.  The man is in Asia working his ass off so that he can provide for his family.  The woman is here to set things up, hold this end of their new life together.  As long as I keep busy, I don't have to feel all that heartache and longing.  But on the eve of my birthday, I suddenly wish he was riding the bus with Bruno and me :(
Then immediately I realize- if he was here, I won't be riding the bus!!!  I would be in a cab, or better still, DRIVING!!!
:0 !!!

When we get home, we find that the fan he ordered for me was also delivered!  Hooray!
 And again, the gift of Flowers... :)
And then I remember, the first time you kissed me on that cold New York day?  You tasted of, flowers.  

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful love story, even if you don't believe in romantic love! Still, I say, practical love still has a romantic side! lots of love xoxo

    ReplyDelete