Categories

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Simplicity

Right before I turned 40, I walked away from dance as I knew it, as well as full-time employment with one of the arts colleges in Singapore.  The reasons for those choices were simple.

1.  I did not want to turn 40 in a leotard.
2.  I wanted to have the space to make my own work again.  But because I didn't want to be stuck in a leotard, I gave myself the challenge of exploring my choreographic voice, via the written word instead.

I wrote a book.  I turned 40.  The book got published.  It brought me immense joy.  My publisher said- write some more.  So I wrote another book.  And now I am turning 43 in a few days.

Somewhere in the 40s, in the midst of writing, I felt finally, I have arrived at a place, I have longed for.  That is, a place of simplicity.  I love this way of living.  In my dance and writing, I am always trying to write, make something that touches, but in the most simple of ways.  It's not easy to do.

Towards the end of my Singapore life, my days became very simple, unencumbered.  I met an incredible horse.  I met a wonderful teacher.  I pottered around the second book for a while, I took care of my family, I walked my dogs, I hung out with lovely girls, I watched my daughter grow up.
The Incredible Horse

Relocating to London was unexpected, but researched and planned for, once the decision was made.  There has been some tricky days, and some unexpected reverse culture shock. Yesterday the weather changed, the grey returned with clouds and a balmy breeze.  Many people love the sun, but I love the rain and all that grey.  
Energised by the grey, Bruno and I hiked up to Angel again.  We had a lovely time browsing, and came home with heavy bags.  I felt grateful that finally my London life had taken on a similar sense of simplicity.
Simple basic cell for London (L), Simple basic cell for Singapore (R)

Today, K and Buster visit us, and we spend a lovely afternoon drinking, eating, drinking, chatting, walking the dogs, and chatting some more.
The horse patrol even visited my street- I hope I meet a horse here soon.

At the park, we find a carousal and a bench.  We collapse with laughter, and walked some more.

Simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment