Categories

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Act 3: Scene i

More new (English) words-  First floor (as oppose to "the second floor"), say flat, not "apartment", builder (not "contractor"), and refurb (not "renovate", or "re-model").

Things are not quite what they are supposed to be, when I get the keys to the flat.  For starters there is no power, no heat, and all the lighting in the space has been removed.  There are ugly patches on the walls, hooks left buried in wrong places.  This is going to be the 7th home I get to work on.  In the grand scheme of things, at 500 sq ft, the project is a cakewalk.  The amount of work required should really take no more than 3 days (inclusive of furnishings), the flat has great bones, I don't see any alarming issues with tiling, plastering, wiring.  But, I am in London, and Mr. Wong, my beloved builder is far away.
Earlier in the morning, I tried to open a bank account.  When I was finally assisted, the bank officer said I had to make an appointment on another day to do this.  I asked (very politely) if there was someone who could help me with it, like today.  I was told (very politely) that no one could help me as they were busy.  (Interesting note: at that very moment, there were 5 staff members, and about 5 people waiting in line- go figure :) !)  I asked what time the bank opens tomorrow (9am).  I asked if I could make the appointment at 9am.  I was told they do not take appointments at 9am.  


Bruno the Superstar who did not once soil his travel bag on the 13-hr flight from Singapore and who will only potty on grass, dashes in, sniffs about and finds the perfect spot to pee.
I watch him pee and pee and pee.  I watch him lay Teddy in the sun.  I have a good laugh.  I think Bruno has just reminded me, we are home.

So later this afternoon, I will return to the bank and attempt setting up an account again.  For me, I am very grateful that I could walk with Bruno into the bank (and not be turned away), that I was served politely and with accurate information yesterday, and that I managed to secure an appointment today.  I think that the best way to get on with things in a new city is to understand and accept, that things are never done the way you may be familiar with, and that change and the unfamiliar can nourish and expand.   

I like Change.  I like discovering.  I like getting lost.  So my husband sent me.

Now if I can only decide on which shade of grey for the floors.

No comments:

Post a Comment