Categories

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Mid-century in Angel, Islington

Took my sick (fever, cold, chills), sorry self up to Angel to look at a chair I am curious about.  Jason who runs Antik Modern has a pop-up store at Albam.

Angel reminds me of the East Village back in the day before it became over-priced.  Multi-cultural, many independent stores, trees, tattoos, dogs, and a relaxed vibe.  Bruno and I meet Tom and Rachel at Albam, who when I first inquired about the chair from Singapore, obliged me by taking a picture of Tom sitting on it, and sending that to me via e-mail.
The furniture is displayed on the lower ground floor (note to self- say "lower ground floor", not "basement").
I'll get the chair.  I end up getting this quilt as well.  The mother of the owner of Albam, hand-made it with left-over pieces of fabric from the clothes he makes.
I sit on another chair and find myself de-composing into a vegetative state.  In this state, I think, gosh, at the end of every journey, one arrives back at the self.  There is no escaping who you are.  The furniture I am drawn to here, looks exactly like the furniture I have back in the previous Singapore homes! I hear footsteps descending, and I half expect them to belong to Lorgan!
 Albam, 286 Upper Street

No comments:

Post a Comment