Categories

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Fashion Victim

The rain here unlike the tropical thunderstorms in Singapore, is soft, but cold to the touch.  I've learnt that it is not the most pleasant of experiences walking in the rain with your feet clad in a pair of Birkenstocks.  So today, I surrender to the sensibility of Wellies.

I am utterly confused when I looked at the Hunter website.  Good grief.  There are wellies in rainbow colors, of varying heights.  There are categories- garden, equestrian, summer etc etc.  I linger in the equestrian section, but then realize I am looking earnestly at the horse model and not the boots...  Delivery if placed before 3pm, is promised the very next day...(?)  On-line reviews of these boots are mixed.  If I am going to spend my husband's hard-earned money on a pair of rubber boots that will make me look like the complete fashion victim, best go check them out in the flesh.

Dogs are allowed in Selfridges.  (Score!)  Selfridges sits in a terrible location, but the store to my surprise, is really pretty nice.  The lighting is seductive, there is width,  height, fancy escalators.  It reminds me very much of Barney's New York.
Bruno patiently soaks in the sights & mood lighting.
The sales staff is exactly like the staff you encounter in Singapore.  They are very groomed, they huddle around each other, with their backs consistently turned towards the customer.  I like to think they really do not mean to be rude or "inattentive".  I keep telling myself, it's a cultural thing- people just don't smile as much outside of America.

Which is a pity.

Because if the girl I asked for help had shown an iota of interest or some energy in her job, instead of standing there refusing eye contact, and just vacuously twirling her hair with one finger, I would have bought two pairs of wellies, not one.  I would have also bought the Hunter socks and the protective cleaner that they sell.  I mean, if I am going to be a fashion victim, I might as well commit all possible faux pax in one swoop.

Geared up and ready.  I check the weather forecast for tomorrow-  Fantastic.  90 degrees high, with the symbol of a bright orange sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment