Categories

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

On a Little Street (in Amsterdam)

My friend TJC asked me recently- what do I look for in a hotel when traveling?

Hmm.  Simple.  Wherever I stay at, needs to look like something I myself would have/could have furnished/designed.  It needs to look like a possible room in my own home.  My friend Trace gets me best.  She says- Tam, you won't like it here (in reference to ABC)- and when I hear her say that, I laugh and laugh.

I am obsessed with (good) design.  I love art, architecture.  A choreographer works with space, with  patterns, with light, with motion.  Physical living spaces all have the power to influence and move us in poignant ways.  As I was saying to another friend, S, it is really not about 5 stars, or a Brand.  It is about intimacy, something off-the beaten path, "undiscovered", and away, away from tourists.  It just has to look a certain way, so that I can feel a certain way, at home.
It took me a while to locate what I was looking for in Amsterdam.  Aside from the issues of budget and location, this time, I was traveling with Bruno.  When I finally found what I felt I could be happy in, there was no clear pet policy stated, so I did what I usually do- I asked.
There are 2 lovely rooms above Rika's gallery-fashion space.
In the evening when Rika leaves, the store has to be locked up.  So she gives me keys.

Art-filled, canal-side living, non-tourist belt :)

STEEP 400-year old Dutch stairs- not for the weak-knee-ed/faint-hearted... 
Our room is right at the top.  It's a vertical hike.
Rika showed me to my room, carrying my bag, in her heels!  Ah, BLISS!

Bruno agrees!
Maison Rika, Oude Spiegelstraat 12

No comments:

Post a Comment