Categories

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Early in the Morning

Today is our day off.  We wake too early, and go for a walk around the neighbourhood and beyond.   Amsterdam feels like a picturesque village, with some bits prettier than others.  The vibe here is incredibly mellow.  People have been very kind, welcoming.  I like that their manners are quiet, non-intrusive.  The city is easy to navigate.  I wish I could speak some Dutch.
We find the flower market (Bloemenmarkt), but it is too early, and all the stores are closed.  We walk on, enjoying the gentle solitude.  Somewhere in the centre of the city, I chance upon this door!
 But it is only 7am, so I can't get in.  As I am waiting to decide where to aimlessly walk towards next, a woman exits.  The door ajar, I slip in quickly, and experience an oasis of calm.

Glimpse of the oldest house in Amsterdam painted dark (R)

Only women reside here.  It has been this way for centuries.  Then I see a sign that says dogs and photography are not allowed.  So I get out of there before anyone spots us.  Best not mess with Girl Power.

No comments:

Post a Comment